Thursday 11 March 2010

There Is a Haus in Portland and They Call It Gloi

I stumbled upon Haus of Gloi after reading reviews from Phyrra and Grey. Haus of Gloi is specialized in soaps, perfume oils and scrubs, all of which are vegan. The company is run by Britton and her husband . The things that set Haus of Gloi apart from other businesses or people selling soap are hauntingly beautiful (and different) scents, natural ingredients (no sulfates here) and gorgeous packaging. If you're looking for soaps that smell "something like strawberry" then this company may not be for you.

Sure, Haus of Gloi has sweet scents, too. Imp smells like passionfruit and the tropics and Vice smells like chocolate and coffee. But these scents have more depth and twist, in my opinion. But the scents are not "something like". The scents are very true to nature, powerful and lingering. When I wash my hands with Elevenses sugar scrub, I can still detect a hint of it after a couple of hours.

I decided to review this company now that I have made my second order. I ordered a full sized Elevenses sugar scrub as well as too soaps, Absinthe and Apothecary. My boyfriend detests sweet smelling soaps so I wanted to choose something he might like. He was present when I opened the box and I let him take a whif of the soaps. He sniffed them a bit, then his face lit up and he said "I can actually smell them!" (my boyfriend has had problems with his sense of smell as it has been damaged permanently by a flu he had about a year ago. Although he can't smell properly, he can smell the sugariness of sweet scents which he doesn't like). Then he sniffed the again and said "I like them both". The reason why his reaction was significant was that he had just given me a speech how it's ridiculous to order soap from the US when you can get a bar of soap form the store for 0.50 euros. A partial win.

The scents are described as follows (taken from Haus of Gloi Etsy site):

Absinthe: Hauntingly herbal. Wormwood and anise swim in a creamy green sea of lemon balm, green lemon, soft glowing mints, a hefty lump of sugar and the tiniest drop of suggestive deep green moss.

Apothecary: Ah, reminiscent of old books, bubbling concoctions, herbs and creaking floor boards! A pure essential oil blend of: Lemongrass, rosemary, atlas cedarwood, sweet basil, lavender and the tiniest drop of vetiver.

Elevenses: Not quite breakfast and not quite lunch, its the little sip and nibble in between! Bring out the old cracked china! Tiny, little, fluffy orange cakes, sugar coated toasty almonds and a wee steaming cup of black tea.




The thing is, you can't even get a whole picture of the scent on a first sniff. When I first smelled Absinthe, I detected a hint of the anise and something herbal. But when I kept on smelling it and then leaving it alone, the more complex it started to smell. Both Apothecary and Absinthe are perfect for those who like herbal scents that aren't too sweet (or who have nitpicky boyfriends).

Besides the amazing scents, the produc sizes are very generous. There are samples of perfume oils and sugar scrubs available and I've always gotten a little sample of a soap for free with my orders. Soaps are $5.50 a piece (about 4-5 oz) and full sized sugar cremes (scrubs) are $10. International shipping takes about 2 weeks. Get the goodies here.

I've been extremely happy with my Haus of Gloi purchases and will buy from them again. My favourite scents are Imp, Elevenses, Absinthe and Apothecary. I didn't care for Vice as a soap, it was a bit too sweet for me, too.

What about you, readers? Have you tried Haus of Gloi? What do you think? Any favourites?