Saturday 1 May 2010

FOTD: Sober May Day

Hi everyone!

May Day (and the eve) is kind of a big thing here in Finland. It's called both the working people's celebration AND students' celebration which means that practically everyone in Finland likes to take part in the festivities. Kids like to paint their faces and students proudly dress up in their overalls and everyone who has matriculated from either a polytechnic school or high school are wearing their student hats (the more tattered, the better). Usually May Day's Eve starts the binge drinking that continues until the next day when most people gather outside for a picnic. Of course, I couldn't take part in the celebrations because I'm still on the mend but my boyfriend got me a Hello Kitty balloon to keep me company as he went out to party with his friends. I burst out laughing when I was reading Nea's blog because I got the exact same balloon as her daughter :D

But I did paint my face today and since I mentioned that Hi-Fi Cosmetics hasn't gotten enough love from me, I did a pink look with Veronica's lovely pigments. I also used the new lipgloss. I have to say that I love the formula. My lips are chapped and the flake like all the time but because the gloss has moisturizing ingredients in it, my lips felt smooth and silky.

All of the products used here were bought by me except for Live Large which I got as a free sample from Veronica (and which I will need in full size).

FOTD: Sober May Day

Face:

Sassy Minerals foundation in Warm Fair
MAC blush ombre in Azalea Blossom

Eyes:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance (as a primer)
Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy (on top of TFSI)
Hi-Fi Cosmetics eyeshadow in My Valentine (all over lid)
Hi-Fi Cosmetics eyeshadow in Celebrated Victim (from crease up to below brows)
Hi-Fi Cosmetics eyeshadow in Live Large (outer corners and crease)
Lumene Eye Graphic eyeliner pencil in Coal Black (upper lashline)
Hi-Fi Cosmetics eyeshadow in Things That Cannot Speak (upper lashline over black liner, lower lashline)
Lumene Blueberry Curl waterproof mascara in Rich Black

Lips:

Hi-Fi Cosmetics lipgloss in Sober


If you think that this looks bright, you're wrong! The look was so much brighter in person. My boyfriend said that I looked like a bright pink May Day balloon! :) Live Large is like pink electricity, you cannot not notice it.





I tilted my head to show off how shiny My Valentine is. In the jar it looks like it has green shimmer to it but on lids it translates to extreme shininess that the surface of the colour looks almost like liquid.




I love Azalea Blossom. When I saw pics of it on Temptalia I knew I had to get it. I can post swatch photos if you're interested but it's a blush that has two shades in it, pink and lavender, that can be used together by sweeping a blush brush accross the whole palette or you might use just one of the shades. I used both shades and it's a lovely fresh cool pink with a hint of lavender in it. Some have said that it looks chalky but I didn't notice any chalkiness although I'm not sure if it's because I'm so pale. Because I've seen swatch photos of it on darker skintones and it does seem to be a bit severe-looking. Maybe it's the matte formula. But I love it, it gives a nice pink flush to my cheeks.



I wanted to show you a close-up of the lipgloss on my lips. The shade is called Sober and it's almost a milky sort of a pink shade. It's not opaque so it won't look snowbunny at all. It has a bit of shimmer. The shine is gorgeous, you don't even need to smother your lips with it.

The lipglosses I have (Sober, Gin&Sin, Ribbons and Bows) are all on the sheer side but all of them give a nice shine and shimmer to lips. I especially love Gin&Sin that on lips look like I had a bit of gold in them. These glosses also work perfectly on top of a lipstick. In fact, I used Gin&Sin with MAC's Ever Hip (a pinky peach shade) to give the shade a little shiny kick.

What do you think of this look? Have you tried Hi-Fi?