Saturday 21 November 2009

FOTD: Make It Work (+ a mini review on Sassy Minerals)

Guys, it's Caturday already!

Yesterday I received a huge sample haul from Sassy Minerals. I had seen Lisa Kate's and Nea's looks and swatches and so I had to make an order.

So, I wanted to do a look with Sassy. Yesterday I watched the Project Runway finale (I had hoped that Carol Hannah would win) and I got my inspiration from Tim Gunn.

Do I hear you say "Whaaaaaat?"?

Well, let me explain. I adore Tim Gunn. He seems so sweet and I love his catchphrases. Sassy has an eyeshadow called Make It Work and I have to admit that I ordered a sample of that simply because I loved the name. But I love the colour, too. It's a "rosy brown with aqua sparkle". The sparkle is nice and not too disco. Because of the theme I paired it with Fashionista which is a "rich copper with silver sparkle". An amazing colour that I believe will soon be lemminged all over the blogosphere, just wait and see. For highlighting I used Witty Banter (I think it suits the theme perfectly), a golden tan colour with gold sparkle.

Although Tim Gunn will probable never see or hear from this look, I hope that he would be happy with what I came up with. At least it's not too costume-y :)

FOTD: Make It Work

Face:

Purely Cosmetics Skin Smoothing foundation in custom blend
Purely Cosmetics Diamond Perfect Finish finishing powder
Sassy Minerals blush in Plus One

Eyes:

Too Faced Shadow Insurance (as a primer on upper lids)
Sassy Minerals Eye Candy in Make It Work (all over upper lid)
Sassy Minerals Eye Candy in Fashionista (outer vee and crease)
Sassy Minerals Eye Candy in Witty Banter (as a highlighter below brow)
MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack (upper lashline)
Lumene Blueberry Curl waterproof mascara in Rich Black

Lips:

Aromaleigh Nourishing Color Creme in Cakewalk





I hate that I couldn't get a decent photo showing the sparkle of this colours. They are really shimmery in a nice way. It's that time of year again when we have a minimum amount of daylight in Finland. As a matter of fact, the sun doesn't come up at all in the north in the winter. Summers are a completely opposite, the sun doesn't seem to set at all (and it doesn't in Lapland, the northernmost part of Finland).





The colours blend really well and I love the chocolatey look of this combination. Although these are the most shimmery colours that Sassy offers, they are still perfect for days at the office.





The blush I'm wearing, Plus One, was the free blush I received from Sassy. I'm in love with it. It's very delicate peach/pink/beige blush with a hint of golden shimmer.

I hate the pic. I'd love to post perfect photos everytime I do a look but it seems impossible. I still blame the lack of natural light.

For the review part. Sassy's website is very easy to navigate, all the products are in alphabetical order in their respective categories. The shipping was incredibly fast: I placed my order on Friday 13th and I received it exactly 7 days later. That's really fast for international orders. I also got a shipping notice when my order was dispathed (I like when companies do this because then I know that my order is on it's way home to mama).

The colous are beautiful. Sassy may not go crazy with its colours like Fyrinnae but it provides gorgeous and well-pigmented shades that blend well and are multifaceted. The shimmers seem to be a big hit but I also ordered from the less shimmery line and wasn't disappointed. There are photos of the products as well as written colour descriptions which is extremely helpful. I wanted to post you some swatches but I have to leave that until later because the colours wouldn't look as exciting as they are because of the lack of light (Fashioned in Finland and Sparkle Is My Crack have beautiful swatches of some of the shades).

Eyeshadow samples are $0.75 and full sizes are $4.25. There is enough product in the sample jars for several applications. You get free samples with every order you make.

I'm very happy with what I got from Sassy. I just sent them an e-mail asking if they create their own colours and I will post the answer as soon as I get it.

Some must-have shades: Lyrical (emerald green with bright aqua sparkle), Cocktail Party (purple with blue shimmer), Fashionista, Hang Out (taupe with subtle mauve tones), Fierce (smoky grey with red and blue sparkle).

Have you ordered from Sassy? What did you think about their products? How do you like the look?

****UPDATE****

I contacted Team Sassy and they said that they create their own colours. They were supernice and gave me additional information which makes me very happy to recommend them to my lovely readers.

10 comments:

Nea said...

Haha, Saila, I'm wearing Make it work today too :D Much prettier than I thought! Didn't get good pics, I think, but maybe I'll post those anyway... Fierce, Lyrical, Trust me and Crown jewels are some of many favorites from Sassy.

Phyrra said...

The blush is really flattering on you!

I really liked the colors that I tried by Sassy, especially Gasoline Rainbow, Jinx, Fierce and Apparition.

Saila said...

Nea: :D I think Sassy has many neutrals that are much prettier than people might expect. I don't usually go for neutrals but my work does affect my makeup 5 days a week so I have to find pretty neutrals to wear.

I need to wear Lyrical someday. It looked really amazing when I swatched it.

Phyrra: Thanks! I was really pleasantly surprised. It was like Team Sassy knew what kind of peachy blush would look good on me and I would be in the need of.

Gasoline Rainbow seems like a good liner for clubbing: it's dark but with a little sparkle to make things interesting.

Lisa Kate said...

You look beautiful! Fashionista looks amazing on you, and I definitely agree it will become a lemming around the blogosphere! It's sooo pretty!

I really love Sassy. I love that they have a great selection of neutrals as well as some brighter colors. Some days I get bored of the brights, you know? I'm glad you liked them!

They do make their own colors! It says somewhere on their site, and I also asked them XD

Saila said...

Lisa Kate: Thanks :)

I like variety and yes, sometimes I get bored with brights, too! There's a time and place for everything and in the office I have to tone things down a little. I still wear purples and pinks to work but I try to make it more subtle.

That's great to know! I tried to look for that info but I guess my old eyes aren't what they used to be.. ;)

Phyrra said...

When I reviewed their product I quoted what they sent me in an email which was "We promise, not one of our pigments is a simple repack or "watered down" and repacked pigment."

It was awesome to see that in an email ;)

Heli said...

Hi Saila, have been lurking here for a while now so I think it's about time to comment too :)

Oooh, I had to stop reading your post earlier today since I hadn't seen the Project runway finale yet and I thought you were about to reveal the winner :D Just watched it and wasn't too suprised about the results.

I'm impressed with Sassy too. Warm light is my foundation match and I love Plus one and Tart (haven't tried the other blushes yet).

Today I chose Trust me and Tabloid fodder since it was the first sunny day in November and it almost felt like spring (before I went outside, that is :D).

Saila said...

Hi there, keijukainen! And you're welcome to lurk in my blog :)

I wasn't surprised either but I had hoped that the winner would've been someone else :P

I haven't tried the foundations out yet. Your look sounds cool! Yes, it looked warmer than it actually was, at least here it was a bit blustery. We went out walking after hearing that it'd be the warmest day this month but honestly the difference wasn't significant.

Mai said...

The Sassy base is the best I've EVER tried. Golden Light is my match and I'm so impressed by how natural it looks :) And I love Fashionista! <3

Saila said...

vadahodges1211: Nice to meet you :) Hope you enjoy my blog!

Sagu: Hmmm..hmmmmmmm.. maybe I'll have give the foundations a go then... I love the eyeshadows, they feel light yet creamy soft.