Tuesday 4 August 2009

Finally: Obsessed Minerals swatches and review

I've been meaning to do this for a long time but since I seem to be a wee bit accident prone, I've been mostly concentrating on my physio and just trying to stay positive through it all.

My friend Decorative Diva had posted about Obsessed Minerals so I decided to try them out, too.

First of all, the customer service is beyond amazing. Dr Michael Huwe is a really kind and helpful lady. She answered any questions I had about her creations. It's always inspiring to be in contact with a woman who has created and is running her own business. So if you're about to order, and are not sure about some colours, just ask Michael. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to help.

Michael also told me that her loose minerals hadn't been reviewed when I ordered. These days I prefer loose minerals because the application is easier to control. So I ordered four loose mineral eyeshadows (Mai Tai, Boogie, Shag Me and No Shame) and also received one pressed shadow (Peasant).



Top row (from left to right): Mai Tai, Boogie, Shag Me
Bottom row (from left to right): No Shame, Peasant

The colours apply easily. However, the loose minerals aren't as pigmented as the pressed one is which came as a surprise.

Mai Tai is a creamy, shimmering off-white. It's one of my favourites, on it's own or as a highlighter.

Boogie is, according to website description, "great colours of reds and violets sparkling together". To me, it's more like a mauve with a hint of purple sparkle.

Shag Me is, according to website description, "two toned mauve and blue". Again, I have to disagree. To me, it looks greyish purple with purple sparkle.

No Shame is a light turquoise with a golden shimmer. I have to say that this colour is just super. It's perfect for summer and very flattering.

Peasant is a golden copper. It's vibrant and edgy. I'm very happy that Michael sent me this as a freebie because it makes green eyes pop!





Another pic, colours as above.

Now for the not so good. Out of the three duotoned shadows (Boogie, Shag Me and No Shame), only No Shame looks like a real duotone. In my opinion, Boogie and Shag Me are not "real" duotones, just colours with different coloured sparkle. I was quite disappointed with Boogie and Shag Me because they look better on the website than irl.

Also, the shadows have a tendency to crease a bit. They are a bit gritty, especially Peasant, although the grittiness in Peasant makes it easy to reapply when it creases.

Also another problem, at least for international customers, is the price. Eyeshadows cost $9-$10 and currently there are no samples available. Because there are so many colours and not all of them have written descriptions, shopping with Obsessed Minerals can be intimidating. This is why I would advice to contact Michael before making your purchase. I'm sure she can offer some help if you're torn between two similar looking colours.

Next time I'm making an order with Obsessed Minerals, I'll probably go for the pressed eyeshadows rather than loose ones.

Go check out Obsessed Minerals: http://www.mineralobsessed.com/index.htm

2 comments:

Nea said...

The pressed one looks quite interesting! Thank you for this review and swatches :)

Saila said...

Peasant is lovely. I'm quite interested to try it on top of a golden gel liner, maybe that'll hold it better!